Our comments system is powered by Disqus so you’ll need a Disqus account, but don’t worry… Disqus is free.
We chose to use Disqus for in-course discussion because they’ve done an amazing job at building one of the most used discussion/commenting platforms on the web.
👋 Please make sure to read the "IMPORTANT" note at the bottom of this help doc if you start using Disqus.
How to Add Disqus to your Teachery Course
FIRST STEP: You'll need to grab (or create) your Disqus Shortname, which is DIFFERENT from your Disqus Username.
We've recorded a video to help walk you through the Disqus setup process and how to grab your shortname:
Here’s the written version of what you can watch in the video above:
- Log in to your account on Teachery >>
- Edit any course you’ve already created >>
- Click a lesson in the sidebar you want to include commenting/discussion on >>
- Click the “Add Comments” button toward the bottom of a lesson >>
- Teachery will prompt you to add your Disqus Shortname (this is different from your Disqus username) >>
- IF you’re a wizard 🧙♂️ and know your Disqus Shortname, go ahead and add it to the modal window and hit Save >>
- IF you’re not a wizard (and we aren’t either) log in to Disqus, Click the Gear Icon (top right), and Add Disqus to Site (quick link) >>
- Once you create your Disqus Shortname enter it on Teachery and commenting/discussion is now enabled for your course!
You can turn comments ON or OFF for each lesson of your course. You can also add your Disqus Shortname directly in the “Manage Options” page in the Teachery editor.
👉 IMPORTANT: Change Two Advanced Settings in Disqus
There have been a few isolated issues where random links are being added to comments and this is easy to fix. Here are the steps to take:
- In Disqus go to Admin > Settings > Advanced
- Affiliate Links > UNCHECK this setting if it is checked
- Trusted Domains > Add teachery.co and any custom domain(s) you're using for your course(s)
And that is how you add commenting/discussion in any (or all) lessons of your course on Teachery. Now you can engage and interact with your students, or better yet, let them engage and interact with each other!