We understand that you may not want your course to live on your-awesome-course.teachery.co as a domain name. Which is why we offer the ability to house your course on whatever custom domain you like.
Every course you create in Teachery can have its own custom domain. If you create and sell 10 courses? All 10 of them can have their own custom domains. Yay for you!
👋 RELATED: How to add a custom subdomain to your course
If you don't want your entire domain (ex: giraffesrock.com) to point to your course on Teachery but you DO want courses.giraffesrock.com to be your custom subdomain for your course, you'll want to read this help doc.
👉 Here's how to add a custom domain to your course...
Step 1: Update your DNS settings with your domain provider
- Login to your domain registrar >>
- Find the DNS settings area for your domain >>
- Add a new DNS record >>
- Add www as the Name/Host >>
- Change the record type to CNAME >>
- Set the TTL to 1 Hour/automatic >>
- Set the data/value to www.teachery.co >>
- Recommended: Add domain forward of non-www domain (yourcustomdomain.com) to www.yourcustomdomain.com
Here's an example CNAME record added in GoDaddy:
Step 2: Update your Custom Domain settings in Teachery:
- Login to Teachery >>
- Click into the course you want to set a custom domain for >>
- Click "Manage Options" in the left sidebar (near the bottom) >>
- Scroll to "Custom Domain" and input www.yourcustomdomain.com* >>
- Save and wait for domain propagation!
📌 BONUS TIP: Don't forget to pick your "Default Course Page" too. If someone types www.yourcustomdomain.com, this is the page in Teachery they will see.
📝 A few things to note about setting up your custom domain:
- Every domain registrar is different, and if you can't access your DNS settings, contact support at your domain registrar.
- Every course in Teachery can have its own unique domain (just repeat the steps above and pick a different domain or subdomain for each).
- Most domain registrars have their own help docs about DNS setup if you need help with your specific registrar.
- Custom domains should be written in lowercase (awesome.domain.com, not Awesome.Domain.com)
🤨 Important note about domain propagation:
Domain propagation simply means how long it takes for your new domain to point correctly to Teachery. It can take 24-48 hours for propagation to finish, so plan accordingly. You can check if your domain has finished propagating by using a site like DNSchecker.org.
✅ GOOD NEWS! We also handle the automatic encryption (SSL) of your custom domain when added to Teachery 🥳.
Having a secure domain is important to us and at NO extra cost to you, we handle creating an SSL certificate for your custom domain once it's fully propagated to Teachery*. Yep, we've got your back!
If you aren't familiar with SSL, this just simply means we will force the domain to be https:// instead of http:// (that "s" is the fancy secure part!)
You can sleep easier at night knowing once your custom domain is fully connected to Teachery, your customers will have secure checkouts, logins, and an encrypted and safe browsing experience through every page of your course!
*Reminder: Domain propagation can take 24-48 hours.