Want to time the releases of your lessons to keep your students engaged with a steady stream of content? Our drip fed content (or lesson locking) feature has you covered.
Best of all, it’s super easy to get started. Let’s take a look at how it’s done.
(At the bottom of this post is a step-by-step on how to use MailChimp to send automated emails.)
Getting started with drip lessons:
When you create a new lesson (or sublesson) it's accessible to students immediately after purchasing your course. To change this:
- Login to your Teachery account >>
- Click the course you want to edit >>
- Click the lesson in the sidebar you want to set a drip schedule for >>
- Here you will find a “Set Drip Schedule” button in the top navigation bar. Each lesson has it's own release schedule you can set.
Click this button and set the number of days after course purchase that this lesson should be locked.
Your new lessons schedule will be represented in both the admin navigation and on each specific lesson page editor.
Repeat this process to set the release schedule for all your lessons and…
Boom! You’re done!
Your course students will see clear and prominent messaging regarding the status of each lesson and each lesson will unlock based on the course purchase date. Here’s what it looks like:
Here’s how to send emails to your customers using MailChimp’s Automation and Teachery’s Drip Schedule:
Step 1: Create a new list in your MailChimp account for your course students.
Step 2: Go to Automation in MailChimp and create a new Automation Workflow.
(Note: Automation is a paid feature in MailChimp, so if you’re on a free account, you’ll need to start paying for Automation)
Step 3: Create your Automation sequence by doing the following…
- Selecting the new List you just created
- You can choose any type of Automation as they’re all customizable, but I’d choose “Educate Subscribers”
- Name your Automation whatever you like (ex: Your Course Name Drip Lessons)
- *IMPORTANT* On the Configure Trigger page, you must check the box to “Trigger workflow…”
- Next, add 1 email. As soon as you do this, you’ll see text above it that says “1 day… change delay” Click the “change delay” link to your desired drip time (if the second lesson is set to 7 days in Teachery, set this to 7 days).
- Go ahead and design your email to your liking, it can be as simple as you like letting that person know the next module is ready for them with a link to that specific course lesson (get this link by previewing your course in Teachery and navigating to that lesson’s page).
Step 4: Repeat E & F from Step 3 until you have all your drip emails done with the right time delays based on your lessons.
Step 5: Once you’ve added all your emails, confirm the Automation sequence and “Start” it.
Step 6: Come back to Teachery and login. Click into your course. Then, while in the course editor, go to your Default Payment Page (or whichever payment page you’re going to use). Click the “Connect Email Provider” button at the top right and select MailChimp. Then select the list you’ve setup Automation for.
Step 7: Make sure your drip lessons in Teachery are set to the same days as you set in MailChimp.
Optional Step 8: We recommend setting this automation up days/weeks before releasing your course so you can signup for your course and see the automation emails happen real time (and check your course lessons to make sure they match).
Voila! Your course students will now get emails when new lessons are available to them in your course!